- 18 Nov 2021
- 3 Minutes to read
Getting Started with BuiltSpace (Web App)
- Updated on 18 Nov 2021
- 3 Minutes to read
This guide is intended for new users to BuiltSpace. It is divided into 3 sections, depending on the type of user you and your organization are:
- Organizations invited to collaborate or receive digital information
- Organizations using the platform for operations & maintenance
- Organizations looking to create an integration with another system
Organizations invited to collaborate or receive digital information
You are part of a company or institution that is facility owner or manager. One of your service suppliers has invited you to BuiltSpace so you can receive service records, invoices, or other information about your buildings digitally in real-time.
If your service supplier has shared Buildings with you, you can see them on the Buildings tab. You can see all the Assets in all those Buildings on the Assets tab.
On both the Buildings and Assets screens, you can click View Details on any Building or Asset to find more information about it.
Service Suppliers normally work by completing standardized Procedures on your equipment, and we call these completed procedures Inspections. On the details screen, you can click the green Inspections button to see if your service supplier has shared their service activity with you, for a detailed history of the work done in that Building or on that Asset.
Another way to see the history of completed Inspections is on the Inspections tab. You’ll have to switch to the Shared tab to see the completed work that has been shared with you.
If your Supplier sends you digital Invoices, you can find those under the Inbox tab.
Organizations using the platform for Operations & Maintenance
You are a facility manager or a service supplier, and your organization wants to share digital service records, send digital invoices, improve transparency, consistency, and accountability, or simply manage their preventive maintenance needs better.
You will need to set up a few things before you can use the platform:
- Procedures - your organization might come with a few basic Procedures for your field technicians. You can (and should!) customize these to suit your needs.
- Managed lists - you might want to check the Manage section to configure lists, such as Work Categories, Materials, and Tools. These lists come with defaults but we encourage you to customize them to your company's needs.
- Billing Templates - if you are going to be sending invoices, you will need to create at least one Billing Template with a default labour rate and terms & conditions.
- Import data - you will need to add at least 1 Building and import some Assets into that Building. For billing, you will also need to add at least one Customer.
Once that’s done, you can go to All Work and begin creating billable Jobs and site Visits. Your technicians can see the same list of active Visits on the All Work section of the Service Twin mobile app.
To avoid manual dispatching, go to the screen and create recurring schedules for your planned maintenance. These items will show up on All Work each time their Start Date approaches.
Organizations looking to create an integration with another system
BuiltSpace has an extensive public REST API that lets you read or write most kinds of information in the system. Common integrations are:
- Send setpoints and other sensor data as custom Asset Properties so this information is available to field technicians
- Send alarms/issues from automated monitoring solutions/IoT systems to BuiltSpace so that field technicians can take action, or so dispatchers can triage the issues
- Integrate service history/completed Inspections into a dashboard with KPI’s
- Read completed Invoices and send them to your accounting system
- Read Time Entries and send them to your accounting system for payroll
Contact us for complete API documentation in Postman format. You can get started at: